Petrovsky park in Kronstadt.
Petrovsky park is one of the most interesting places in Kronstadt. Before the mid.19th century it was a big dirty square in front to the Arsenal building. This territory used for military parades and ceremonies. But the situation with landscaping radically changed when Faddey Bellinsgauzen became the governor of Kronstadt. Gardening and comprehensive improvement of life in the city were his main goals. Thus Bellingshausen went down in history not only as the discoverer of Antarctica, but also as an active governor.
On 27 June, 1841 the Monument to Peter I was ceremonially opened on the Arsenal square. A few years later, thanks to the efforts of the Bellingshausen, the first trees of the future park were planted. Because of this monument the name “Petrovsky”( Peter’s) was given to the park. Since then, the Petrovsky park became one of the best places of Kronstadt.
Petrovsky park is located in front to the Middle harbor – the central Kronstadt harbor. Therefore the front pier for a meeting of the Emperor and other dignitaries of Kronstadt was built here. The first wooden pier was built in 1836, then in 1874-1875 it was reconstructed in granite and decorated with vases. The pier was built on the same axis with the Communist street (before the Revolution - “Knyajeskaya” or the “Prince” street) which leads to the Anchor Square. The building of the Military Governor residence is situated here. Members of the Royal family visiting Kronstadt used the apartments there.
There is a a tradition of noon signal in Kronstadt. In the 19th century there was a special cannon for the noon shot. Now you can see a gun - monument to this tradition.
Once more interesting monument you can meet at the Petrovsky park embankment. This is a monument to the Russian sailors who died during the Tsushima battle of the Russian-Japanese war.
With the inactivity of the First Pacific Squadron after the death of Admiral Makarov and the tightening of the Japanese noose around Port Arthur, the Russians considered sending part of their Baltic Fleet to the Far East. The plan was to relieve Port Arthur by sea, link up with the First Pacific Squadron, overwhelm the Imperial Japanese Navy, and then delay the Japanese advance into Manchuria until Russian reinforcements could arrive via the Trans-Siberian railroad and overwhelm the Japanese land forces in Manchuria. As the situation in the Far East deteriorated, the Tsar (encouraged by his cousin Kaiser Wilhelm II), agreed to the formation of the Second Pacific Squadron. It would consist of five divisions of the Baltic Fleet, including 11 of its 13 battleships. The squadron departed on 15 October 1904 under the command of Admiral Zinovy Rozhestvensky form Kronstadt and another ports of the Baltic sea.
The Tsushima battle ended catastrophically for the Russian Navy. However, in the 1910s strong and modern battleships were built to replace the lost in the war.
Beautiful view to the Middle harbor and warships of the Kronstadt Naval base deploying here opens from the PetrovskyPark.